Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Wise Young Man or An Old Foolish King

Ecclesiastes 4:13 A young man who is poor and wise is better than an old, foolish king who won't take advice any longer.

I saw this verse posted on Facebook a couple of days ago and it's been running through my thoughts. I think it was meant as a dig against President Obama right after his State of the Union speech. But where others see a verse about politics I see a verse that describes two very different people. How does one child become wise and another grow up to become a fool? I'm striving to aim my kids in the direction their life will go. Like an arrow aimed at a target, they are taking off and heading toward a destination. Will they be wise, or will they be a fool?

Think about young David for a moment with me. Do you think King David's father, Jessie, saw young David as a future king? I don't think any of David's family saw him that way growing up. They had no idea what God had in store for that shepherd boy. When the prophet Samuel showed up at Jesse's house to meet each of Jesse's eight boys, only seven of them were introduced. David, the youngest, was left out in the field tending the sheep. As Samuel looked over the seven sons presented to him that night, he even thought one of David's older brothers, Eliab, was God's chosen based on his appearance. But God is always looking deeper at our heart and character.

1 Samuel 16:6-7  And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the LORD'S anointed is before him. But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD sees not as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.

David was soon anointed to be the next king over Israel and God's Spirit rested on him. And, we have all grown up reading how David fought Goliath. In fact, it's my son's favorite story. He can tell you how many stones David picked up (five), what Goliath called David (a dog), and which way Goliath fell down (forward). But before David ever fought Goliath, he was just a young man faithfully and obediently running an errand for his father. When David showed up at the front line his brothers clearly thought David was a boy among men.

1 Samuel 17:28-30  And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spoke unto the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why came you down here? and with whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know your pride, and the insolence of your heart; for you are come down that you might see the battle. And David said, What have I now done? Is it not a word? And he turned from him toward another, and spoke after the same manner: and the people answered him again after the former manner.

In spite of his brother's lowly opinion of him, David knew that Goliath was defying God. Something great and courageous stirred in David's young heart and he spoke up. Word got around the camp and he was invited to stand before Israel's first king, Saul. Saul agreed to let David represent all of Israel and fight Goliath. King Saul offered David his armor to wear in battle. David declined. He trusted in the sling and stones he'd used to fight off lions and bears in the sheep pastures. Wisdom, courage, simplicity, boldness, and a trust in God all in the heart of a young man. We know how the story turned out.

I'd like my kids to be like young David. I'd rather my kids be poor and wise than rich and foolish. I'd rather they be governed by God's Words than popular opinion. I'd rather they stand for Jesus than stand with the in-crowd. I'd rather they speak up for Truth than choose to fly under the radar unnoticed.

The king in Ecclesiastes 4:13 was a fool because he would no longer take any sound advice from anyone. He had all the position, all the money, and all the authority that came with his title. But age and life experience couldn't change the fact that he was still a fool for not listening to God.

PRAYER:
God, help my kids to have open hearts and listening ears. I want them to hear your Word and take it down into their hearts where it can change them. Don't let them be influenced by their classmates and what they see around them at school. Help our home to be a place where the kids' questions are answered with Your Truth and not my opinions or preferences. Keep me diligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment